Ulysses Club Adelaide Branch Home Page

Postal address: 2 Hughes Court, Craigburn Farm, SA 5051.
Monthly meetings are held at the European Catering Reception Pty Ltd, 2 Chief St, Hindmarsh 5007.
7.30pm start, each first Thursday in the month. Come early and have dinner with us from 6pm.
Click here for more info and a map link.


Website last updated: 9 November 2019.

   Latest titbits...
(Hint: Hit the browser refresh button on pages to see the latest offerings.)



9/11/19 From Glenda: Summary of November meeting

New Name Badges: The branch is paying for Adelaide Branch members to receive a name badge bearing the new logo. Add your name to the list at meetings giving the name as you want it to appear on the badge or contact Ken Wagnitz. Orders will be placed soon after and may be collected at meetings or by arrangement. The offer closes at the February meeting.
First Aid for Motorcyclists: Six Adelaide Branch members recently did the course. Feedback as to the value of the training was positive and next year our branch will sponsor two to do the course so that after the rebate from Ulysses there will be no cost to those participants. Tail End Charlies will get first preference.
Membership Renewals: Members were reminded to check the expiry date on their membership cards. Those requiring renewal should be aware that the office closes for two weeks over Xmas.
Christmas Drinks: A complimentary free drink will be offered for those attending the December meeting.

Adelaide Branch Christmas Dinner: Tickets are still available for our Xmas dinner on the 7th December at the Windsor Hotel. Its only $25 a head for Adelaide Branch members and $45 a head for others.
Click here for a flyer.
Book and pay Michelle Stevens, 0419 822 717.
If you want to pay by EFT: BSB 085183, account 730172920, name Ulysses Adelaide.
Put your name in the description.


21/10/19 From Glenda: Results of the logo voting.
27 votes were passed in at the October meeting and 3 submitted afterwards, making a total of 30 voters.
There were 3 contenders after first preference votes were counted: B, E and D in that order. Second preferences narrowed it to B and E.
It took until the third preferences for a design to get past the 50% mark. That design was B.
Thank you to members for their participation and patience throughout the process.
Thank you to Jenny Wickham at flutterfliesdesign for endless modifications to the proofs and Ken for the hours he put into creating the vector image for the rider on our logo.

Here is the winning design...
       

4/10/19 October Meeting Summary from Glenda

Voting for our new logo took place.
Adelaide members not at the meeting may place their votes by phone or email to Ken by Sunday 12th October.
When the new logo is finalised the branch will pay for new name badges for Adelaide members that request it.

Six Adelaide members are joining Fleurieu for the First Aid for Motorcyclists course on Oct 19th.

Currently ride leaders may request reimbursement of $25 per ride for essential costs. That has been reviewed and will be discontinued at the end of 2019 because no one is claiming it.

Greg Murray from Hear ProTech presented his Earmold products. Some took advantage to have custom made earplugs fitted on the spot.

The December SABC will not be at Laura. The gorges ride that was to happen after that December Breakfast Club has been cancelled.
A more local venue will be chosen so people can make it to the Xmas Dinner that night at the Windsor.


30/9/19 At our next meeting (Oct), we will be voting on the logo for the branch.
The choices are in a PDF here.
If you can't get to the meeting, email, SMS or ring me (Ken Wagnitz -details on the Committee page) with your choice, until Sun 12th October.

A guest speaker at the meeting will be Greg Murray of Earmold, who will be able to fit moulded earplugs on the night.
He will also talk about Sena communications gear, which he sells.


19/9/19 Look on the Events page for details of our Xmas Dinner on Sat 7th December.
Because this is a SABC day, we are delaying the Laura SABC until around April next year.
SABC on 7th December will be somewhere local to Adelaide, so members can get to both events. (You won't need lunch.)


17/9/19 There is now an Info menu item. The first entry is info on the Historic Registration scheme for Ulyssians.
If anyone want info posted there, please email the webmaster.
Please note that the Links page is full of useful website links too.


6/9/19 September Meeting Summary from Glenda

Designs for the Adelaide Branch logo were on display. Voting will take place in October. The designs and voting procedure will be on our website and Facebook page prior to the meeting and hopefully in the October issue of The Odyssey.

Fleurieu Branch is organising a Motorcycle Accident Management Training course through First Aid for Motorcyclists. Details have to be finalised but at this stage it will take place on Saturday Oct 19th at Victor Harbor. It costs $135.00 ea (with a once only every 3 years refund of $60 from NATCOM). Adelaide Branch members are invited to join them. Contact Fleurieu Branch secretary.

Historic registration. Ulysses can now administer conditional registration for vehicles 30 years and older. Rob Ryan (Hobbit) from Fleurieu Branch gave details about the process and prerequisites. If you want to register a historic vehicle, contact Hobbit on 0404 478 741, or hobbitfjr@gmail.com.

Fleurieu Branch member, Vicki Ryan, spoke of her involvement with the Australian leg of the Women Riders World Relay. The following article explains. https://motorbikewriter.com/women-arrive-worldwide-relay/.
Women 2 Wheels Motorcycle Network SA operates through Facebook . They may be contacted on women2wheels@gmail.com


5/9/19 The Postie Bike Challenge for Sept 2020 is advertising early bird specials.

The Classifieds page is no more. I don't know how many people viewed it, but sadly folks didn't let me know when items were sold.
If you want to sell something via the website, use the national website classifieds. Larger audience anyway.


8/8/19 The Veteran & Vintage Motorcycle Club SA want you to know about their swap meet on Oct 6th at Balhannah oval.
The rider of each bike displayed gets in free (arrive before 9am).
Unfortunately this is the weekend of the SA Odyssey.

Have you booked accommodation and registered for the Odyssey at Kadina yet???


2/8/19 August Meeting Summary from Glenda

Logo design: Proofs from a graphic designer were presented and modifications on selected designs suggested. They will be ready for members to see at the next meeting. The invitation for members to put forward their own designs remains open till September. Designs in any format can be emailed, texted or brought to the September meeting.

Historic Registration: Neville Gray announced that Ulysses will now be able to administer historic registration in SA for vehicles 30 years or older. Hobbit will be at the September meeting to give further details.

Free High Tea: August 22nd at 10:00am, Wohlers store, Richmond Road Richmond. High tea is followed by a guided tour of their showroom. There are spaces left. Contact Sue Freene on 0413 567 747.

The August Odyssey magazine is on the Our Magazine page for downloading.


22/7/19 In case you hadn't noticed, online registration is now up for the 2019 SA Odyssey at Kadina.

We still haven't received any submissions for a new Adelaide Branch logo!!!


10/7/19 The SABC breakfast at Broken Hill saw 64 Ulyssians enjoying a bang up breakfast, thanks to Rick and the locals. Weather was fantastic, warm days and nights, perfect for riding. There are a few photos in the gallery, but Shelley has posted a great montage on our Facebook page.

We are still waiting on submissions from members for our new logo. None received so far!

The Ghost Town Rally at Copi Hollow is from 6th-8th September. Click here for a the flyer.


20/6/19 From Glenda: Logo Preferences Collated.

At the June meeting members indicated their preferences from the list of ideas put forward at the previous meeting.
24 post-its were returned. 20 are represented in the tally below. 4 responded in a way that I was unable to interpret.
Of the 16 options listed, 15 had responses.
Options with fewest responses are not listed.
Options with 5 or more responses are listed below. (J was included because all of those responses were first preferences.)

 B - Adelaide skylineG - Old Man logo with Adelaide branchI - motorbike with landscape D - SA doorways logo with motorbike passing throughM - Piping ShrikeJ - simplified vector image of motorbike
Total responses885554
1st pref123224
2nd pref222220
3rd pref540110

The numbers suggests that there are three main schools of preference.
The strongest preference is for (x) a logo with a motorbike (I+J combined), followed by (y) Old Man logo with the words Adelaide Branch, and (z) an Adelaide skyline.

The committee has given the information to a graphic designer to supply 3 examples of what a logo based on that design brief may look like.
We encourage members to put forward their own designs. They may be in any format -e.g hand drawn, collage or computer generated.
Designs must include the words Ulysses Club, Adelaide Branch. They may be handed in at the July meeting or emailed to Ken.
Entries close on Monday, July 22nd.

Designs will be on display at the August meeting.

For those that know Larry Caspers, aka 'Spook', Lower Murray branch have informed members that his wife Jennifer died on 18/6/19 after a long battle with cancer.
Our condolences, Spook.


11/6/19 We voted for some branch logo design choices at the last meeting. Glenda is collating results.

Mike Rector showed us some clocks he has made which are for sale at $70 each.
Click on the photos below to go to our Gallery where you'll find his contact details.

I'd like to give a bit of a plug to the Warrawong Wildlife Sanctuary at Mylor, where we had the last SABC. 26 attended.

Val was patting a wallaby outside.
While from inside, it was terrific to watch the myriad of birds and a bettong just outside the big glass wall.
And the pythons, lizards, green tree frogs, stick insects and cockatiels inside were interesting too.
I tore myself away from the log fire around midday.
A great place to take grandkids, I reckon. Especially if they go on one of their Animal Encounters.


6/6/19 The funeral of Les Tapping will be held at 2pm on Friday 7th June at Harrison Funeral Chapel, 173 Port Rd, Queenstown.

The July SABC breakfast is at 141 Bonanza St Broken Hill, from 9.30am July 6th 2019.
The breakfast will be catered by the Ulysses Club Broken Hill Branch.
If you are attending, please email Rickie at town.bike@bigpond.com, or SMS him at 0408 884 588, with your name(s) and branch. Don't just give numbers.
There will be a gathering on the Friday night for tea at the Silver City Workingmans Club.
Rickie is planning a ride for the Saturday, and a dinner get-together that night.

The June Odyssey magazine is on the Our Magazine page for downloading.


26/5/19
Member No: 21354 (that’s next to my number because we joined at the same time) passed away / ridden on last Monday 20th of May, 2019 at the RAH after a short illness. Les loved his Italian motorbikes, especially Moto Guzzi and French cars, namely Citroen and above all like minded people. He was a sailor (big ocean going ships), boilermaker, engineer. He also loved books, music, theatre and girls/women but never had the time or long and fast legs to catch and tether one.
Goodbye mate.

Charlie Brown


13/5/19 I've been very sluggish with the website. Some agony to ride home from Peterborough SABC with, and a couple of days in hospital, have made me feel very mortal and a bit sad and sorry for myself. I'll be keeping a low profile for a while.

But I'd like to alert members to upcoming stuff they might like to plan for.
There were 37 at the Peterborough breakfast, which seemed to go off pretty well. Quite a few either stayed over, or were at the RV Spear Creek gathering.
The June SABC is at Warrawong Sanctuary, just an early start for locals. Glenda would like an SMS if you are coming.
July will see us at Broken Hill. If the weather is bad, come in a car.
August SABC at Wellington is fairly local, but we are following it with an overnighter at Morgan.
November SABC will be in Mt Gambier, to coincide with Torrens Valley's meet 'n Greet with Westgate Wanderers.
You might like to book some accommodation!
See the SABC page and the Events page, to get details on these.


10/5/19 May Meeting Summary from Glenda

Branch Money: Four free meals will be offered as raffle prizes each meeting and reviewed at the end of the financial year. The purchase of something significant that will benefit members has been discussed eg a defibrilator to be carried on rides, a screen and or projector upgrade that could be used at meetings have been put on the list to investigate. Suggestions are welcome.

Entertainment Book: Deb Sherman has once again organised for the Entertainment Book 2019/2020 to be available as a fundraiser for our branch. It is available online at https://www.entertainmentbook.com.au/orderbooks/160r216. Cost $70.

Fuel Discount and proceeds to UCARF: In conjunction with United Petroleum, Ulysses has signed up to be a member of their Rewards Card. Purchase at United Petrol, show your Community Card and receive a 2c per litre discount with an additional 2c per litre going to UCARF. To sign up go to https://new.unitedpetroleum.com.au/ulyssesclub/ It only takes about 60 seconds to apply and the rewards card will be mailed to you.

New Logo: Proposed Process: At the May meeting members put forward suggestions for the new logo content. The purpose of a branch logo is to identify our branch from the 130 other branches, (7 of which are South Australian). Most logos tend to reflect a significant local feature. Ideas may be put forward till June 1st by phoning or emailing Ken Wagnitz or Glenda George.
At the June meeting: members indicate preferred logo content. Their preferences will be collated and put on our website.
July meeting: Logo designs due. Members indicate preferences. The suggestions for logo content so far, in random order are:
magpie; Colonel Light; hills; sea; Adelaide skyline; current logo without Colonel Light and Popeye; South Australian (doorways) logo with bike going in or out of door; winged theme (like Nelson Branch); old man logo with handlebars; old man logo with words Adelaide Branch; full face bike helmet (like Ulysses WTV); motorbike with landscape background (like Kapiti Coast); simplified vector image of bike (like Otago); Flinders Ranges in blue, purple, orange, red, ochre; crow or magpie with helmet; piping shrike; bunch of grapes; motorbike with standing rider.

Upcoming Events: Neville Gray gave an update on preparations for Kadina Odyssey in October.


11/4/19 Normally a ride report would go in the photo gallery, but there are no photos for this ride, so I'll put it here.
Report - Ride to Ray's Sunday 7 April
Twenty souls negotiated the change from daylight saving to be at Civic Park TTG on time for the ride to Ray’s place for a BBQ lunch. The ride left at 9:30 sharp GPS time, which left a couple of late-comers playing catch up. We took a pretty well-worn path to Milang for morning tea, riding via Gumeracha, Lobethal, Woodside, Nairne (re-group), Wistow, Langhorne Creek and on to the Milang bakery, arriving at 11:02 am. After a very social cuppa and a chat, we departed Milang for Ray’s place in Hove via Finniss, the Bull Creek Rd to Meadows, Clarendon and Black Road and Majors Road to arrive a few minutes before 1 pm. Ray, and Ray’s little helpers, had a feast fit for Royalty ready for us on arrival. Not only the obligatory snags, but barbecue chicken and some very decadent cakes for desert. Not to mention the salads. The weather gods were kind to us, and we all had a great day. Another example of the comaraderie that is Ulysses.
Cheers, John Crowe.


5/4/19 Summary of the April Meeting by Glenda

Kim Lim was presented with his 80 badge.

Welfare officer: A register of members able to help with visits etc has been set up. If you are willing to assist, contact Judy Manoel or Ken Wagnitz.

There has been a change to the ride calendar since the Odyssey went to the printers. Sunday May 5th the ride will be led by Ken Wagnitz and end at Craigburn Farm with lunch at the Waggies.

Free dinners: As an initiative to return some of the branch coffers to members, random raffle prizes will have the added bonus of a paid dinner at the next meeting.

New Logo: The process decided upon will invite members’ input at each stage. The timeline beyond June may need to be amended.
Stage 1 : May meeting: Members put forward ideas on what could go on the logo. From the Ulysses Guide: you can incorporate almost anything. Most logos tend to reflect a significant local feature, industry or landmark. Purpose: to identify our branch from the more than 130 other branches. Members can put forward their ideas by email, phone or at the May meeting. Closing date for ideas is June 1st.
Stage 2: June meeting. Members indicate their preferences. The ideas will have been collated so preferences can be indicated by numbering. The results will be posted on the website.
Stage 3: Members submit logo designs in any format.
Stage 4: July or August meeting: Members indicate their preferred designs by numbering.
Stage 5 At the next meeting a small number of the most preferred designs will be presented for voting (which is what the committee committed to at the March meeting).
Those members that indicated at the March meeting that they wanted input to the designs put forward by the committee to vote on, were satisfied that this process provided that opportunity.


29/3/19 The April Odyssey magazine is on the Our Magazine page for downloading.


11/3/19 Summary of March Meeting by Glenda:

Welfare Officer: A register of members able to help with visits etc will be set up. Those willing to assist should contact Judy Manoel or Ken Wagnitz.

New Logo: At the general meeting the question was put as to whether members wanted the committee to come up with some options that they then voted on or whether they wanted to have input into the design options.
Result: 53% indicated they would go with whatever was decided by others.
25% opted for the committee to put forward options that they would vote on.
22% wanted input into the design process/options.
The committee will discuss how to proceed.

SABC: The July 6 Breakfast Club will be at Broken Hill. Broken Hill Branch will provide the Saturday breakfast at no cost and host Saturday dinner and Sunday morning breakfast at a nominal cost. They will need to know numbers for catering. Ken will post more information when the details are sorted. Watch the SABC page on this website.

Upcoming Events – Received:
March, Sunday 17 – Black Dog Ride 1 dayer. Route: Morphett Vale, Strathalbyn, Meadows, Murray Bridge, Mannum. For full details and registration: https://www.blackdogride.org.au/view/upcomingrides.
April, Sat 6 and Sun 7 - The McLaren Vale Vintage and Classic is involving motorcycles for the first time. For details: https://www.vintageandclassic.com.au/.


8/2/19 The AGM must have scared folk off. Lower attendance than I expected!

Glenda's summary:

Odyssey Newsletter: Congratulations to Maurice and Michelle Stevens, the new editors of the Odyssey Newsletter. Their first edition went on line prior to the meeting and printed copies, in colour, were on tables to view. Printed copies cost $3.00 and postage is $2.00.

Welfare Officer: To raise awareness of the need to let the welfare officer know when there are members who need support, Judy Manoel, our Welfare Officer will have a regular spot in the Odyssey.

UCARF Donation: Adelaide Branch has approved the donation of $1000 to UCARF.

Beast Feast: Fleurieu Branch extended an invitation to a weekend of events starting with the SABC at the Victor Harbor Golf Club on Saturday morning April 6, then the Beast Feast on Saturday evening and Macies Ride on Sunday April 7.

Breakfast Clubs of Ulysses: Information for those attending the Mornington Rally - an invitation to join with other branches on Wednesday 27th February. 9:30 start. At Antique Motorcycles Naked Racer Café. 45 minutes from rally venue. Let Dean Wells know if you are coming. wdwells@gmail.com or 0412318260.

The meeting was followed by the AGM.
The Committee for 2019 is
President: Ken Wagnitz, Secretary: Glenda George, Treasurer: Peter Castle and Committee Members: Val Cullinan, Judy Manoel and Gary Priest.


6/2/19 Tomorrow is our AGM. Please come along!

The February Odyssey magazine is on the Our Magazine page for downloading.

Our photo gallery software is changed (for a number of reasons). Hopefully you won't find it any harder to navigate.

The Feb SABC breakfast at Gawler was good. Some hardy souls braved the heat (which was cooler than expected), and went on to Brian & Val's place afterwards. Thanks guys.

The next SABC breakfast is at Woodside Providore on Sat 2nd March.


7/1/19 Michelle & Maurice Stevens have volunteered to do the magazine.
Please send in anything you want to appear in it to ulyssesadelaide+editor@gmail.com.
If you need an emailed reminder when it gets put on our website Magazine page as a PDF, send a request to ulyssesadelaide+webmaster@gmail.com, and we'll put you on our emailing list.

The Jan SABC breakfast at The Oasis was well attended. 69 people, many of whom rode there in the pleasant weather that makes it ideal for Adelaide Hills riding.
There are a few photos on our Gallery page.

The next SABC is at Gawler. Check out the Events page or calendar or Facebook.

Nominations received for our 2019/2020 committee are:
President, Ken Wagnitz; Secretary, Glenda George; Treasurer, Peter Castle; Committee, Val Cullinan, Judy Manoel, Gary Priest.


4/1/19 Summary of the January Meeting: -from Glenda

The Odyssey: Lloyd Sanderson has resigned as editor. Glenda and Ken will set up a template for the online Odyssey then Glenda will step in as caretaker until somebody puts their hand up for the job of Editor. An edition of The Odyssey will go online on 2nd February and thereafter each month on the weekend prior to the monthly meeting. A group email will be sent out with a link to the PDF on our website.
Forward your email address to ulyssesadelaide+webmaster@gmail.com if you want to be put on the list.

Nominations for the 2019 Committee must be with the secretary by the 7th Jan 2019. Nominations placed at the meeting suggest there will be minimal changes to the committee. Regrettably, Jann Baker has retired after serving on the committee for 4 years. She has been affiliated with Adelaide Branch since 1994 -24 years . We thank her for her service and loyalty.

Announcement: It was announced at the meeting that Mick Sandley had been awarded a Telemachus Medal for his service to the branch. The criteria and process for the awarding of a Telemachus Medal will be in the February Odyssey.

New Logo: It will go to the top of the agenda for the 2019 Committee.

UCARF donation: It was decided to involve members in the decision of whether to donate $1000 to UCARF. That will most likely occur at the February meeting should time permit.

We got this in an email from Marcel, if anyone can help:
I am an old fart who steadfastly refuses to get hooked on social media, so I am hoping you can promulgate this request for me……
My wife and I will be attending the Mornington Peninsula National Rally. We will be leaving on Friday 22nd February and take two leisurely days to get to our accommodation at Nepean Country Club on the Peninsula. We are heading back to the Adelaide Hills on Sunday 3rd March, again taking two days. On either the way there or the way back we would like to do the Great Ocean Road.
Because of my work and the time I will be spending away (BASs are due 28th February), I will need to take my laptop, printer, some client files etc. This means we will be taking our car. However, if I can find some fellow travellers, I could take my bike as well and my wife could have another passenger in the car.
If you find any members that would like to come along with us (and justify me bringing the bike as well as the car), please let me know either by email or on 0403 207 854.
Cheers, Marcel Smith

Tip: You'll find a new calendar at the bottom of the Calendars pulldown in the menu.


31/12/18 Happy celebrating, and Happy New Year, Ulyssians.

The next meeting (Jan 3rd) is the last before our Adelaide Branch AGM in February. Please come along.
Think about who you want on the committee, and whether you'd like to nominate.
You can download a nomination form here to print and bring along filled out.
We'll also have forms at the meeting, which will be the last chance to nominate.

Don't forget about our SABC Breakfast on Saturday 5th Jan at Belvidere. See the Events page.

Graham has a Shadow trailer for sale on the Classifieds page.


23/12/18 A Telemachus Medal for Mick Sandley -from Glenda
December 19th, Handorf Old Mill Hotel
Those that attended the Combined Branches Wednesday Ride Groups Christmas Lunch saw Mick Sandley presented with a Telemachus Medal for his years of service to the Adelaide Branch. It was an appropriate gathering for the presentation as Mick initiated the Adelaide Branch Wednesday Ride Group back around 1994. He was ride leader for 15 years. Lester Martin was able to provide some detail about those years and beyond. Ken Wagnitz, Adelaide Branch President, presented the medal on behalf of the Adelaide Branch.

A more in depth article on Mick Sandley has been offered for the February online edition of The Odyssey.


30/11/18 Xmas dinner tonight, SABC breakfast at Brighton tomorrow.

There is a bit of info on the 2019 Odyssey (click on the menu item), including a PDF of info about accommodation.
Book early if you are planning on going. And plan on leaving a day later to avoid the long weekend traffic.


2/11/18 My ain't the time flying...
From the November Meeting, by Glenda:

Interbranch Committee Meeting/BBQ: This was hosted by Lower Murray at Swanport and attended by Adelaide, Fleurieu, Torrens Valley and Mallee branches. Among the topics discussed were ride calendars, communicating when rides are on or cancelled and ways to promote the club and branches.

BBQ Trailer: It has been sold for $600.

UCARF Raffle Tickets: They are available for sale at meetings or through the committee. First prize is a 650 VStrom with adventure pack.

Promotions: Stayupright offers rider training for road, track and dirt and has an online gear shop. When companies contact us with promotions that may be of interest or benefit to members the link is put on the Links page of our website.

Communication: Using the phone app WhatsApp (***see below) to communicate rides details, especially last minute changes or cancellations is to be investigated. The website Rides Calendar will still be kept up to date and adding morning tea stops investigated.

Active Orthopedics Adelaide donated wine and caps for our raffle .

*** Sunday Riders Whatsapp group
Rob Hartridge is starting a WhatsApp group for the Adelaide Branch Sunday rides. (Adelaide Wednesday riders have one already.)
This will allow ride info to be swapped around. Members can post a message to the whole group. Let's see how it goes...
If you would like to be in this group:
1. Put WhatsApp on your smartphone. Use Play Store etc., or check out www.whatsapp.com.
2. Send a WhatsApp message to Rob Hartridge on 0422 114 225, asking to join the group.


26/10/18 From Lloyd (our magazine editor):
Due to a misunderstanding of the mail out process by me, there has been a delay in posting the October edition of the Odyssey.
The hitch has been fixed and you will have your magazine this coming week.
I have chastised myself.

Meanwhile, its on the website on the Our Magazine page.


16/10/18 This year is the 100 year anniversary of the Armistice.
Torrens Valley invites you to join a Remembrance Day Ride on Sunday, Nov 11.
Departs at 9:00am from carpark opposite Repco on Julian Tce, Gawler.
Arrive Mallala 10:45 in time for Remembrance Day service.
Leader Bob Braunsthal.


13/10/18 The November SABC is at Wistow Bakery and Cafe, 532 Wellington Road Wistow. 3rd November, from 9.30am.


12/10/18 From the October Meeting...

Magazine- The Odyssey was available at the meeting and will go to Pack and Send tomorrow. You can see it in colour on our website soon.

BBQ trailer- The old trailer is still on offer to members for $500 until next week when it will go on Gumtree for $600.

New logo- Lloyd and Monica have offered to manage this process and will let members know how they can participate.

Hi viz vests- Orange vests will be purchased for Wednesday rides leaders and tail end charlies.

Nominations for the National Committee for 2019- Nominations must be received by the National Secretary by November 30, 2018. Nomination forms can be requested from the National Secretary or the National Administration Office.

Odyssey 2019- The Torrens Valley Branch announced that they will host the South Australian Odyssey in 2019.


11/9/18 From the September Meeting...

Magazine: The October and December editions will continue to be printed in black and white and available at meetings or mailed. From 1st January 2019 the magazine will go online at no cost.

Trailer: The old trailer and contents: 2 BBQs, 2 gas bottles, cutlery and crates of supplies is for sale to members for $500 till the October meeting after which it will go on Gumtree for a higher price.
Contact Peter Castle or Glenda George if interested.

Vests: Ride leaders and Tail end Charlies now have orange hi viz printed vests.

Branch Logo: A brief survey of members present at the meeting indicated that 5 opted to keep the current logo, 9 favoured modifying the current design, 13 favoured a new design and 5 would be happy with whatever is decided. At this stage there are two people who have put their hand up to facilitate the process and they probably would appreciate a few others to join them. Contact me by phone or email if you are interested.

Flyer: Judy had suggested a flier that she could leave with businesses etc to promote the branch. They have been done and she will trial the response. If you would like/are prepared to do likewise contact me by phone or email.

Glenda.

1/09/18 Spring has sprung, with a SABC breakfast at Milang. Sadly, not many Adelaide attendees.
(Click on the photo for more.)

The next SABC breakfast will be at Burra.


17/8/18 The new BBQ trailer made by Workskil has a new home with Broken Hill Branch. They couldn't believe their luck when we said they could have it for free.
The old trailer will again be offered to members at the next meeting. If there is no interest, it will go on Gumtree for sale.
The August Odyssey magazine is on the Magazine page (along with the Aug 2017 copy, which slipped past me).

Click here for a 2018 Xmas Dinner flyer.


5/8/18 Can anyone help with this? From a contact form:
Hi, I am hoping your club can help me.
I have a cousin [64] who has cerebral palsy who is desperate to go on a motorbike ride in either a side car [preferred] or a trike.
He needs back support but is well able to wear a helmet.
We used to use Valkyrie tours a few years ago and went on a 1.5 hour ride along beaches/country.
Darrell's birthday is on 10/10 so hoping to arrange ride on or near this date.
We expect to pay for the privilege!!!
Can you please advise if possible or if you have an alternative suggestion.
Thanks in anticipation, Helen.

If you can help, please contact Ken (prez) or Glenda (secretary).


4/8/18 Tidbits from The August Meeting (from Glenda).

Clarification on the Renewal of Membership Process:
1- The expiry date of your membership will be on the postage page of each Riding On under your membership number.
2- You will be sent an email when you are due to renew.
3- You will be sent an email if it becomes overdue.
4-You will then be posted an overdue notice. Overdue over 3 months incurs a $5 fee.

Trailers: The branch is quitting both trailers and invites members to make an offer on the existing trailer and/or the two carryable BBQs in it. Contact our Treasurer, Peter Castle before the September meeting if you are interested. First in first served. Branches are being offered the new trailer.

The Odyssey will remain a quality bimonthly magazine but will be accessed online.
Members can be emailed a link to the full colour magazine when each edition becomes available.
There will be no cost for the online version.
A printed version will be available in black and white for $12 per year for those unable to access the online version.
Those already on Wendy’s mail out list will continue to receive the magazine til the end of the year.
They are posted out the day after the meeting so if you are there you can have yours then.
The new Editor welcomes articles, riding stories, jokes and cartoons etc. Lloyd’s details are the website (Committee page).

UCARF raffle books are available for order from Ulysses.

Branch Logo: Enquiries into printing a branch banner have revealed the need to simplify / update the branch logo. If you have views or ideas on what to include in the design, please contact me by the next meeting.

After a windy but pleasant ride/drive, 28 attended the SABC breakfast at Angaston. The next SABC breakfast on Saturday 1st September will be at Milang football clubrooms at the Milang Oval.


17/7/18 PONTIFEX, Wayne RELATIVES and FRIENDS of the late WAYNE PONTIFEX are respectfully informed his Funeral Service will be conducted ENTIRELY in the Distinctive Funerals Chapel, 414 Port Road, West Hindmarsh on THURSDAY July 19, 2018 commencing at 2.30 p. m. In lieu of flowers, donations to Cancer Council.
For those remember him the "grey ghost" was a popular rides leader of Adelaide Branch.


16/7/18 The July SABC at Melrose has been and gone. A good event, even if weather was cold, a bit wet, windy enough to blow over a couple of bikes.
(Some of the port purchased there got finished off at the VBC at Wycheproof the following Saturday!)
The August SABC is at Angaston. See the events page.
Thanks to all the helpers on Sunday, for the sausage sizzle, cake, biscuits, tea, coffee.

The BBQ trailer is currently parked on Ray's son's block at Warradale. But this is temporary, until he sells the block.
A more permanent home would be nice. Any volunteers?


5/7/18 A momentous occasion!

Tonight we saw Rob propose to Judy, in front of a bunch of witnesses, after making a spectacular entrance on Piper's electric scooter.
Well done, Rob.

As promised, a link that's nothing to do with motorcycling, but Uni SA has a "Mozzie Monitor" program going, that's worth supporting.
Have a look at their crowd funding page. $50 gets you involved.

The trailer refurbishment is finished. Ken hopes to pick it up tomorrow.
Thanks Lloyd for offering to take on editing the Odyssey from Wendy.
Yesterday Ken pinned an 85 year badge on Colin Leaker after the Wednesday ride when birthday cake was on offer at Meadows.
Still riding his Honda 700 quite quickly, Colin is an inspiration to us all.
His profile is in the Gallery.


8/6/18 From the June Meeting, by Glenda:

Workskil will be finished repairing and painting our BBQ trailer at the end of June.

With Wendy King, long term editor of the Odyssey, stepping away from the role at the end of the year, the magazine was in danger ceasing to exist. Thank you to the handful of people, who at last night’s meeting, volunteered to explore the options, line up the ducks and run with them. In other words, they will meet and work something out so the Odyssey, in some form, will continue.

A peek at the Rides Calendar will show you that as of last night, there is a new team of ride leaders with Mike Green as the Rides Coordinator.

The new Entertainment Book is now on sale. The club gets a commission on sales over 10. Contact Debbie Sherman on 0438 358 811.

Online registration is open for the Robe Odyssey, and speakers from Fleurieu Branch updated us on the details.

Adelaide Branch is hosting (and paying) for a visit and lunch at the Greenock Aviation Museum. The details are on the Events Page. You need to let Glenda know if you want lunch. There are 29 on the list to date.

The Christmas dinner will be at our meeting venue (2 Chief St Hindmarsh) on Friday 30th November.
A committee has formed to manage it, with members from Adelaide, Fleurieu and Torrens Valley.

For those who don't follow our Facebook page, you can click here for Shelley's video from the Sunday ride to Hahndorf.


7/6/18 The July SABC breakfast, Sat 7th July at 9.30am, will be at Store 54, 24 Stuart Street, Melrose.


4/6/18 We had 40 at the SABC breakfast at Whalers Inn on Saturday. Great venue and view.
But I didn't realise just how far it must be from Parafield Gardens!
Vicki has posted some photos on the Fleurieu Facebook page.

My first planned ride on Sunday went off without any dramas. 26 bikes plus 5 pillions was a good turnout. The weather was great.
There are a few photos, writeup & map, in the Gallery, but none of us munching at the Old Mill hotel where I had a delicious lunch. Peter evidently doesn't do pubs. :)

If you aren't too exhausted from going to the Wintersun rally in Mildura next weekend, then tell Sue you'll be coming to the dinner on the 15th at the Hackney.


28/5/18 No we haven't been asleep here at Adelaide Central. Just a bit overwhelmed by the Riverland AGM, which I think went off quite well.

Online registration is now live for the 25th SA Odyssey at Robe. Click on the link in the menu.

Frank Pellas has now retired as Rides Coordinator. Thanks for the great rides, Frank.
Anyone who wants the job, please step forward at the next meeting. We think we have enough riders who will lead rides, just need a coordinator.


3/5/18 The calendars are now in a pulldown in the menu.
They include individual branches, and instructions on how members can add their branch calendar to their phone calendar.
If you haven't already done it, give it a go. (And let me know if I got something wrong.)
Note: You need your browser's popup blocker turned off. The calendars open in a new tab.


20/4/18 Lower Murray are now in our SA calendar.
So if you are at a loose end on a non-Adelaide-ride-Sunday, or maybe want to go away with some friendly folk, check out the SA Calendar page to see who is doing what.

We had around 35 at the April SABC breakfast. Piccies are at our Facebook page. Thanks Shelley.
The May SABC breakfast will be at Flavours of the Riverland, Barmera. Details on the Events page, in our Calendar, and on our Facebook page.

We will be shouting a visit to the Greenock Museum in June. Details on our Events page and in our Calendar.


26/3/18 AGM Volunteers -come to the next meeting (Thu 5th April) We will have volunteer induction, saving you having to do it at the AGM, and also someone to test & tag your extension cord if you are planning on using a powered site at the AGM. (Cost $4 for a 3 month tag, $5 for a 12 month tag. Bring cash.)


8/3/18 The April SABC breakfast is at The Birkenhead Tavern, 3 Riverview Street (formerly 3 Elder Road) Birkenhead SA 5015 from 9.30am, 7th April 2018.
http://birkenheadtavern.com.au/


4/3/18 We had 51 at yesterday's SABC breakfast. You can see photos courtesy of Vicki at Fleurieu's Facebook.

If you missed Thursday’s meeting...
The BBQ trailer is still with Workskill being refurbished.
A ride to the Greenock Aviation Museum will go ahead later in the year with the branch paying for entry and lunch. The date is yet to be decided.
Stay Upright are doing Roadsmart 2 rider training at Mallala on two dates this year, May 11 and November 23. Ridersafe returning rider course, Roadcraft Rider Training and Radskills also offer varying levels of rider training. Remember that Ulysses reimburses half the cost of rider training.
A warning about a Moto Air inflatable airbag jacket made in Pakistan. The member purchased it from a stand at the Wauchope AGM for $200. It failed to inflate under circumstances that it should have.


2/3/18 SABC breakfast is tomorrow at Strath. An Adelaide ride group leaves from Top O' Taps at 8.30am.

From Fleuriue Branch, Ross "Rosscoe" Anderson's Funeral details:
Ceremony to be held at Alfred James Funeral Home, 272 Main South Rd Morphett Vale, on Friday 23rd March at 2pm.
Please wear your club/branch shirt.

Don't forget that you will be able to buy Entertainment Books from Deb at Adelaide Branch meetings. You can call her on 0438 358 811.


19/2/18 According to Judy, Flavio is doing Ok, but a bit sore and sorry with a cracked collar bone and two cracked ribs, after his off.


14/2/18 Jack's Cafe is the venue for the March SABC. 9.30, 3rd March, 24 High St Strathalbyn. See the Events page for details.


6/2/18 There are a few snaps of the Feb SABC breakfast in the Gallery.
We had 31 attend. It went well.
The Lower Murray president has the task of coming up with the March location. It will most likely be in Strathalbyn or Murray Bridge.
The April SABC location will probably be much further from Adelaide.

Our new committee is on the Committee page.


1/2/18 The AGM is over, the committee is chosen. The branch rolls on as usual.

Seans' funeral is at 4pm Wed 7th Feb at Enfield Acacia Chapel.

From Nev:
As discussed at the MRG meeting on 29 January 2018, the Minister for Road Safety, Hon Chris Picton MP, is seeking your feedback about the attached CASR report: Recommendations for a Graduated Licensing System for Motorcyclists in South Australia. To assist with broader public consultation, an online YourSAy survey has been set up as per the following link.
https://yoursay.sa.gov.au/decisions/mc-licensing/about.


31/1/18 Sad to report that Sean Harvey died yesterday after a cardiac arrest some days before.
We won't be seeing the cheerful big bear at the back of the room on Thursday nights any more. RIP Sean.


23/1/18 Our AGM is drawing near. See you there. Possible speaker!
The trailer is finally with WorkSkil for refurbishing.
Have you booked accommodation at Mt Gambier for the Pt Macdonnell February SABC breakfast? Some of us are staying at the Blue Lake Caravan Park.


9/1/18 From Fleurieu Branch:
I am very sorry to inform you all, that one of our own, Ross Anderson "Rosscoe", died in a two car collision near Strathalbyn yesterday afternoon. Ross's wife, Tina was airlifted to Flinders Medical Centre in a critical condition and remains in a coma. We are grateful to Ross's next door neighbour in Encounter Bay, Ian Bancroft, who let us know this terrible news a short while ago. Ross's daughter and grand-daughter are coming over from Melbourne, and Ian will keep us informed regarding Tina's condition and Ross's funeral details once they are made. Ross was a very friendly intelligent man, much loved by the members who were lucky enough to enjoy some good conversations with him. Ross was enjoying retirement with relish, with many cruises under his belt, not bad for a naval man! He will be sorely missed by all who knew him. Our hearts go out to Tina and the family and all of Ross's friends.
We will keep you informed as we know anything more.

On a happier note... we had 70 at the SABC Hahndorf breakfast, including 9 from Victoria, 1 from Cairns, and 2 from Ulysses Switzerland!
A few wimps came by car, but many rode there. Some of us wandered over to the German Arms for lunch. It was a great day.


5/1/18 Happy New Year everyone. Our Sunday rides are planned out for the year on the Calendar page. Next 3 dinners are on the Events page. -These are in the Calendar also.

Our December meeting was the last chance to get committee nominations in, with some current members retiring. Well, there won't be any vote counting at our AGM in February... Here are the nominations in for committee:
President Ken Wagnitz; Secretary Glenda George; Treasurer Peter Castle; Committee Jann Baker, Gary Priest, Judy Manoel.

See you at the SA Breakfast Club Breakfast tomorrow at Hahndorf Old Mill. Remember, its not a ride. Come by car if you want.



Do you have any incriminating pictures for the gallery? If so, contact the .

Tip: You may be looking at an old page. Is the 'refreshed this page' date shown at the top a long time ago?
If using Firefox/Chrome (recommended) or Internet Explorer, press F5 to refresh this page.
Delete your browser's cached pages occasionally. (If you don't know how to do this, ring or email the .)

  If you have any comments or material for this site, please email the .
To open a link in a new window, hold down the shift key while clicking on the link.